Riding the Yo-Yo

 After my post Thursday, Mom's emotional state crashed. She has never experienced this before in her life as she has always been very optimistic, usually denying or minimizing any pain or health problems. At around 4pm she was clearly in a distressed state of mind, and I said to her, "I'm supposed to go to [a church ministry for children I'm involved in.] It was the first meeting of the year, and I was scheduled to lead in worship and teaching scripture in song with my husband. Mom's response was, "Well then, go." and she wanted to sleep. So I went. But she didn't remember that conversation. A couple hours later while at church, I got this text from her: I think I need to go to the hospital. Since I wasn't there to assess her vitals, I texted back, Okay, call 911 and I'll be there asap. Then she texted back, Who is this? Oh, boy, I thought, she's getting confused. It turned out she had been on the phone or texting her nephew and my son as well, just looking for help. She had found herself in need of changing her incontinence pads and clothes, and was too weak to do so. Then she found herself all alone, and thought she was on her way out, for good. My son got home before I did and helped her get dressed again. Then I arrived, checks her vitals, and they were unchanged, but the temp was creeping up in the 100.4 F range. Still, no need to transport her to the hospital. When the paramedics arrived, ready to load her in the gurney, I said, "So, I thought you might run an EKG or something and assess whether she really needs to transport." Then I gave them her current vitals, and they slowed things down, ran their own vitals, and said she was better off staying because, "it's a hot mess right now at the hospital, and they would be putting you in with another COVID patient, and you would be increasing each other's viral loads. If you really want to go, we'll take you, but..." and with that she said, "No, I want to stay home."

Yesterday was much the same story, the same yo-yo. She can rally enough to take a shower in the morning, then get into new pajamas and back into bed. She had lost interest in sitting in the sunshine outside. She forced herself to eat a small dinner of solids, and went back to bed, to drift in and out of sleep. 

This morning she texted our family to say, "Loved ones, I think I crossed a barrier last night and I think I'm going to make it." She is still just as weak, but more at peace. 

We will be assessing other treatment options, like IV drips for energy, monoclonal antibody treatment, etc. while still waiting for a telemed doctor to call. We have to wait out this weekend and pray.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Quite Out of the Woods

A long slog